Replacing the Merchandise Exports from India Scheme (MEIS), the Government of India introduced the RoDTEP scheme – Remission of Duties and Taxes on Export Products in January, 20211. To provide Indian exporters with incentives and benefits on taxes, the government launched RoDTEP aiming to boost exports from India to international markets. Under this scheme, exporters can avail refund at the central, state, and local levels of duties and taxes paid during exports.
Currently, there are certain taxes, duties and levies that are not refunded or reimbursed for exports such as, VAT on fuel used in transportation, Mandi tax, Duty on electricity used during manufacturing, etc. The RoDTEP scheme will cover a range of refunds like local taxes, all embedded taxes, central & state taxes on fuel (petrol, diesel, CNG, PNG, and coal cess, etc) used for transportation of export products, duty levied by the state on electricity used for manufacturing export products, toll tax and stamp duty on Import-Export documentation, etc2.
Risk Management System, a monitoring and audit mechanism, will be used to verify and track the records of the exporters. From manufactures, MSMEs to merchant exporters, all sectors can avail the benefits of this scheme. There is no minimum export or turnover criteria for availing this scheme. However, all exported products should be Indian origin, meaning Made in India. Ecommerce export products are also included in the RoDTEP scheme.
How to avail benefits of the RoDTEP scheme?
Follow the steps below to claim benefits of the RoDTEP scheme3:
● You must have a user account on ICEGATE.
● Make a declaration of the claim for RoDTEP in the shipping bill on the ICEGATE website
. Your claim will be processed by the Customs department.
● After processing, the shipping bills for the admissible amount will be generated and available on the ICEGATE portal.
● Under the credit ledger tab, you must create a RoDTEP credit ledger account on the ICEGATE website.
● After the credit ledger account is created, login and generate scrip after selecting the relevant shipping bills.
● Once the scrip is generated, you can see it in your ledger account and check the refund that has been credited.Read the detailed process here